Role of commissioners
School commissioners play a key role. Elected by the citizens, they determine the orientations of the school board, taking into consideration the interests of the students, parents and electors of their community. Since the school board is an autonomous local government, the commissioners, who together make up the council of commissioners, exercise responsibilities comparable to those of municipal councillors. Since 2014, the chairs of school boards are elected by universal suffrage, meaning that the electors choose the person who will chair their local school board. The commissioner decides on the following matters:
1- the orientations and priorities of the school board;
educational and administrative policies;
2- the school board’s strategic plan;
- the use of schools and training centres under the school board’s jurisdiction;
- the equitable distribution of human, material and financial resources among the schools and training centres
- the school transportation policy (including fees and walking distances);
- summer courses offered and related fees;
- awarding of professional service contracts (eg. in architecture or engineering) or hygiene and sanitation service contracts;
- the budget orientations and expenses to be authorized;
- the Policy on School Daycare Services;
- affiliation with national or international organizations (e.g. International Baccalaureate) or withdrawal from these organizations;
- fees for renting out rooms or space to municipal or community organizations;
- social projects to prevent students from dropping out or to eliminate violence and bullying.
M. Wade Gifford
Includes the municipality of Maria to Pointe-à-la-Croix; Matapédia to Rimouski and Métis Beach to La Pocatière.
Includes the municipality of Cascapédia-St-Jules, the city of New Richmond, Gesgapegiag MicMac reserve, and the municipalities of Caplan and St-Alphonse.
M. Ronald Mundle
Includes the municipalities of Matane to a part of the city of Gaspé situated on the North Basin of the York River and that River,
and the city of Murdochville
Wade Gifford Présidente/ President
Ron Mundle Membre/ Member
George Hayes Membre / Member
Mary-Ellen Beaulieu Membre / Member
Kerry Dickson Membre / Member
Kathy Mackenzie Commissaire parent / Parent Commissioner
Functions of a Commissioner
Commissioners play a dual role. First, they make up the Council of Commissioners who are responsible for administering the school board. Their role of director may, in certain respects, be compared to the role of a director of a company. In particular, a commissioner must act with loyalty, and in the interest of the school board and the population served by the school board.
However, a commissioner may be required, in certain instances, to adopt a position that takes into account the interests of certain groups, persons or even his or her own interests which may differ from those of the majority of the council of commissioners.
*Legal Opinion: Langlois Kronstrom Desjardins dated October 2, 2004